About Me

My photo
New York, New York
This blog is a collection of all things that inspire me in designing and my daily life.

Followers

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

I need a vacation to a far off land

The crowds and filth of the city is really starting to get to me. Every morning I hop on the subway and I'm cramped in like a sardine. It's a mad dash to get up the stairs and transfer to the other subway line and sometimes I feel like I'm stuck in a mosh pit. Everything here is rush, rush, rush. You have to walk fast on the streets because everyone is trying to get somewhere as quickly as possible. If you stop for a second or lolly-gag, you're going to get pushed aside. City living is cramped and tiny and although I love it, I need to get away more than once a year. I remember seeing this editorial in my UK Vogue magazine a while ago, I believe it was in 2008. It makes me long for wide open spaces and beautiful landscapes. Central Park is the closest thing we have here to greenery and open spaces but you're still sharing it with hundreds of other people.

The one thing I truly love about this is the layering and mixing of different textures and prints. I've noticed a lot of people in the industry are trying to do this mis-match look but most of the time they fail. Mis-matching doesn't mean grabbing any random thing out of your closet and throwing it on. It takes a good eye and good taste and I think the stylist nailed it in this shoot. If you notice, they take one really bright article of clothing and mute it with something dark which makes the mis-matching of prints look pulled together. Also, Mario Testino's over-saturation of color in the photographs brings out the beauty of the landscape, the people and the colors in the clothing!

Daria Werbowy and Lily Donaldson by Mario Testino

Daria Werbowy and Lily Donaldson by Mario Testino

Photobucket

Daria Werbowy and Lily Donaldson by Mario Testino

Photobucket

Photobucket

Daria Werbowy and Lily Donaldson by Mario Testino

No comments:

Post a Comment